The current rules of the Liebster Award are as follows:
- Thank your nominator.
- Share the award on your blog.
- Answer 10 questions asked to you.
- Ask 10 questions to 10 new nominees (who have less than 300 followers).
- Notify them via social media.
- How did you get into blogging? I have just the post for that: A Time Warp Tuesday post about Blog Beginnings. It’s an entire post (with a link to another), so it’s not a quick, succinct little answer to the first question here, but I do recommend you go read it–It’s one of my early posts here that I still see myself in when I read it. TLDR: people were mean so I took my words and made my own blog.
- What 3 words would you use to describe your personality? Oh, the dreaded “three words!” Okay. Deep breath. Here goes. Joyful. Present. Amused. I cannot think of any other point in my life when I would have chosen those three words: even, any of those three words. I’m doing well lately.
- What is the nicest thing that you have done for a stranger? I do nice things for people. I’m not sure what the absolute nicest would be. I’ve bought homeless people meals. That’s pretty nice. I’ve given rides; I’ve given hugs; I’ve listened. Who’s to say which is the nicest? It’s all in the eye of the beholder.
- What was one of the hardest lessons you had to learn so far? Life’s not fair.
- What is one thing you hope to achieve in 2016? Let’s publish some writing for pay!
- If you could have any two people (living or deceased) over for drinks, who would it be and why? That’s easy: my grandfathers. My husband never met them; my mother’s father died before I’d even met Ian, and my father’s father lived far away. They had a lot in common with each other:they were both rocket scientists (which tickles me pink), I was their first granddaughter, they were both alcoholics (hence having them over for drinks). And I miss them. I miss them a lot.
- What is your favorite comfort food? This is bad. I know it’s bad. Please don’t lecture me on how disgusting it is. I just can’t help myself. My favorite comfort food is Wendy’s chili.
- What is your motto in life? It always gets better eventually. Sometimes it will get worse first, but it will get better.
- Name 5 places that you want to go. Kenya, England, Singapore, Mongolia, Australia.
- What is the legacy you want to leave behind for others after you die? My words. I want people to read what I’ve written and be happy and nice to each other.
You know, I briefly considered letting the award die, but then that just seemed cruel and unusual. So now I’m stuck coming up with questions.
But I wasn’t going to nominate anyone, so I’ll just leave Kris’s questions up for any takers!
I know, that’s cheating. #sorrynotsorry
- How did you get into blogging?
- What 3 words would you use to describe your personality?
- What is the nicest thing that you have done for a stranger?
- What was one of the hardest lessons you had to learn so far?
- What is one thing you hope to achieve in 2016?
- If you could have any two people (living or deceased) over for drinks, who would it be and why?
- What is your favorite comfort food?
- What is your motto in life?
- Name 5 places that you want to go.
- What is the legacy you want to leave behind for others after you die?
Answer one; answer them all!
Answer them here; answer them there!
Answer the questions anywhere!
- Shout out to the blogger who gave you the award.
- Nominate 5 others bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.
- Answer 10 questions that are given to you by who nominated you.
- Give 10 questions to the bloggers who you are nominating.
And here are my answers to Cheryl’s questions!
- Earrings, bracelets or necklaces? Well, the one piece of jewelry that I always wear is my nose stud, which I rarely change from my standard white CZ. But out of those choices, right now I’ll go with earrings. I do favor bracelets over necklaces now, though.
- What is your favourite song currently? My all-time favorite is Van Halen’s Panama, but I’ve really been feeling Soundgarden’s Burden in My Hand lately.
- How many languages can you speak? Just English. I can ask you what time it is in Vietnamese, but unless it’s 9 o’clock, I won’t understand the answer. I took two years of high school French and a semester of college Spanish, but that’s long gone from my brain.
- Who is your role model? People you never hear about. People who listen to everyone else telling them ‘oh, you’re so smart, you could do so much, blah, blah, blah’ and don’t care, because they’re doing what makes them happy. Or Julia Child. I like her.
- Where do go or what do you do when you are feeling down? I stay in bed. I read. Or I migrate to the couch if no one’s home and watch stupid movies on Netflix. Lots of gory indie movies.
- Movies or dramas? Movies. It’s hard to keep up the good work over a long period of time.
- Which era would you want to live in if you had a choice? Oh, I’m a hippie, through and through. No bras and peace and love and raw food and stuff. And awesome music. Give me the 70s. Although now’s pretty good, too. Interwebs and stuff.
- Did you ever imagine yourself in a wacky hairstyle? Do share 🙂 Yes! I think the only wacky hairstyle that I’ve wanted and haven’t been brave enough to try is a mohawk. I shaved my head with I was 20, and I dyed my hair pink when I was 22 (awesome decision!). And then, of course, I chopped it all off a few months ago for spiky goodness.
- Would you be adventurous enough to be a solo traveller? Definitely! I used to drive cross country by myself to visit mIRC buddies. And to Canada. Granted, once I got where I was going, I wasn’t solo, but half the fun is the trip there, like 3500 miles to Yellowknife.
- Are you a left or right brainer? I’m a lefty, so right-brained, right? I’d say 70/30 right/left. My arty/moody side definitely beats out the fact that I can plus and times real good, and I have a badass sense of direction. I’ve never been lost. Which side is that? I’ll stick with 70/30. Although, isn’t my use of ratio an indicator of left-braininess? Or is my use of the word ‘braininess’ an indication of rightness? I could go on for days. No, wait, I’ve got it. I sew, but I don’t measure. I eyeball it. That’s right-brained, for sure.And it drives my mom and my sister crazy.
Now the part I always hate. Singling other people out. That must be a remnant of the dread I used to feel in school. Please don’t call on me. I know that answer is wrong and my answer is right, but please don’t make me stand up in front of all these people and point it out. Oh, why do we have to read aloud? Eek!! That dread. Okay, I pick:
- Tigger from Lifes Little Reflections.
- SRB from veggie sausages.
- ozifrog from maybe baby, J-man, & the adventures of hub-in-boots.
- SM from Unexplained Rantings.
- Rice Cakes & Redemption.
And their questions:
- What is the best meal ever, and does it have to be a specific person preparing it?
- Why do you blog?
- What was your favorite toy or game as a child?
- Do you use the snooze button or hit the ground running?
- Is a gift card (not requested) an acceptable gift? Defend your answer.
- If you could change your name with no hassle, would you? To what?
- Do you lock your door only at night or when home alone as well? If you have to lock your door at all.
- Would you like to live on a farm for a year? What kind of farm?
- What’s your favorite word?
- Do you think work uniforms are necessary, or are people capable of doing their job just as well in any presentable outfit of clothing? ‘Presentable’ in this case meaning no rips or tears, reasonably well fitted, and clean.
Any and all others are of course welcome to answer! I’d love to read even more answers to these questions.
1. Post the rules that are a part of this game
2. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged
3. Tag eleven people and link to them on your post
4. Let them know you’ve tagged them! (but of course)
Now, my answers:
1. When did you start your blog? Why? I published my first post here on August 6, 2011. I’d already been dealing with infertility for five years at that point, but 2011 was the year I really started to need support from someone besides my husband. I joined an online support group at inspire.com, but, well, there were too many bitches. I was already reading a couple of blogs, so I started my own.
2. Who is the most influential person in your life? My husband, of course. Even on the days when my not-entirely-healthy issues have me desperately needing his approval.
3. If you could travel to any place in the world, where would you go? Today, I’d go to Washington, DC, to Arlington National Cemetery to see my mom’s parents final resting place. If I could save it until August 5, I’d go to Rhode Island for my grandmother’s memorial service.
4. What is your favorite breakfast food? I love breakfast food. But just one, I’d pick biscuits and gravy, when you butter and grill the biscuit halves before spooning the gravy over top.
5. Do you have different songs you listen to based on different moods? The short answer is no. Now that I don’t spend 50-60 hours a week in my car, I rarely listen to music. I don’t have any background noise on when I’m home alone, and only seldom when it’s just me and our daughter. However, when I’m in the car by myself, if ‘Panama’ comes on the radio, you can hear me coming from, well, a long way away.
6. What is the one thing you want most but don’t know if you’ll ever be able to receive? A constant sense of security in myself, in my life, in my relationships. I want to not fear the other shoe dropping.
7. Do you promote your blog on Twitter? I automatically post links when I publish, but I don’t shamelessly self-promote constantly like a certain friend of ours. My husband will immediately know to whom I’m referring.
8. How many blogs do you read regularly? 30 exactly. And probably 10 or so occasionally.
9. What is your favorite TV show or movie? Of all time, Alien Nation. Currently loving Community, we just finished season two.
10. If you could work in any career field regardless of ability or training, what would it be? I would…make pizzas. Seriously. I love making pizzas. And cutting and boxing them.
11. What is your favorite sport? If you don’t like sports, what is your favorite game? I like to play softball or basketball, but I’m not really a fan of watching anything unless someone I love is playing.
Now! I will freely admit that I’m wimping out on tagging anyone. I have backslid quite a bit with my self esteem, and I’m afraid anyone I tag will be disgusted and hate me forever. In fact, just saying that has me cringing in fear. I’ve got to get back on the wagon.
On another note, the same lovely and talented strugglingwithbipolar nominated me for a Liebster Award. Okay, maybe not an entirely different note, because I’m scared to nominate people for that one too. But I will sing the praises of my nominator, and strongly encourage you to check out her blog. She truly inspires me to keep fighting. Thank you!!